Idaho RID Board Conference Call 7/26/2017  7:00pm

In Attendance:  Kristy, Shannon, Mike, Fran, Ann

Meeting began at 7:01pm

 

Kristy gave an over view of the fall conference information:

  • We will have three tracks for participants to choose from
  • We need a few of the presenters to confirm their commitment and then all the presenters will be finalized
  • Registration: Early Bird Aug 1-31. Regular Registration will be Sept 1-Oct 2.  If someone registers after Oct 2, meals will not be guaranteed and possibly not included.  We need to get more information from the companies we will order from. Kristi Kulik is working on the food choices/restaurant catering for ordering and delivery.
  • The budget for the conference was sent out in an email from Kristy. Paypal will show the choices for payment. Early bird conference fee for the entire 3 days will be member price $125, non-member price $175 and student price $75. There will be choices for Thursday and Friday only, Saturday only.  The prices go up significantly September 1st.  All will be posted on the website.
  • Member prices will be given for anyone who is a member of a Region V RID affiliate chapter, Idaho Association of the Deaf, Idaho ASLTA and Idaho RID.
  • Fran– liked that the pricing for non-members is more than the conference fee plus membership fee. This will encourage people to re-new their membership.
  • Vic Roper will be offering a Yoga class on Friday night. For members who sign up early and wish to pay an additional $40, Yoga 6-7pm, dinner and swimming at Miracle Hot Springs, with transportation will be provided
  • Idaho ASLTA will be a $200 sponsor
  • Sorenson request for sponsorship has been sent. We asked for them to be the Platinum Sponsor, supply lanyards for our nametags and send a presenter who will present on NIC Prep.  We are waiting for their reply.
  • Ann—mentioned that generally we will be more successful with people we know. (in regards to asking for sponsors) Think about businesses that like to support interpreting. Share the sponsorship information in person or via email, then follow up with an in person visit or phone call. We can ask for swag for the goody bags we will hand out to each registrant at the conference.
  • Val wants to coordinate a silent auction. If businesses are interested in donating a gift basket or various items, they can be used in the silent auction.
  • Fran will volunteer to keep track of who wants to stay in the cottages. Kristy will receive email from each person wanting to stay in the cottages and will forward to Fran.  Fran can keep a list.  At the conference, Fran will be given the keys and be in charge of handing the keys out to those staying in the cottages.
  • ASL AD recorded on video for Welcome and Registration. Kristy asked Lisa Newton.  Lisa is excited to record our videos that will be uploaded to our website and facebook page.  Along with the recording, there will be information listed in English to inform people about registration information.  Kristy and Lisa will meet on Monday to record.  Kristy gave Lisa a choice of money or attending the conference for free. Lisa prefers money. Kristy asked if we are in favor of paying Lisa. Shannon mentioned $50. Fran agreed. No one objected.
  • Kristy has a box of magnets from Idaho RID four years ago with our logo, etc. We will use them in small bags.  The bags will have some candy, package of seeds to plant and a magnet with information on registering for the conference.  These bags will be handed out to students in ASL and ITP classes.  Kristy will go to CSI classes.  Mike will go to CWI classes.  Fran and Sheila will go to Boise classes.  Sheila will be asked if she does not mind helping.
  • Kristy will look into a popcorn machine and cotton candy machine to have for the conference, an additional perk for the weekend.
  • Photo Booth. One Fun Photo Booth will set up on Thursday evening from 5-6:30pm, everyone can take fun pictures while registering and eating dinner. Cost $300.
  • Massages on Friday evening from 4:45-6:46pm For those not attending Yoga and Miracle Hot Springs…. Will be able to sign up for 15 minute massages at ISDB.  Shannon has a friend in Gooding, Maureen who will come and do massages.  She will charge $70.  Maureen has a friend in Gooding who will also come and give massages.  If we have a large number or people who register, we will ask a 3rd massage therapist to come.  This will be paid for by Idaho RID.
  • If you have any other fun ideas to add value to our wonderful weekend, let us know.
  • Program books will be created and each workshop will be labeled with a “target audience” so that attendees will have an idea of who the workshop is intended for/geared for
  • VRSII is sending a presenter for free
  • Ann asked if it is ok to ask people we know in the community to be volunteers and help get things done for the conference, parents of deaf kids, staff at IESDB, etc. We decided YES,

 

Region V Conference 2018:  Vancouver Washington July 11-14, 2018 at Heathman Lodge.  More information will be coming.

Ann— suggested that each of us reach out to as many people that we can, past members, current members,  deaf community members, students, etc to encourage them to attend.  Let them know how excited we are about this conference, that we have three tracks, the majority of our presenters are deaf, only one workshop will be presented in English at the request of the presenter because it is geared for students and he does not want them to get side-tracked with learning signs while trying to participate in the workshop, the rest of the workshops will be presented in ASL.

New Idaho RID Board Position:  Social Media Commiitte Chair, is Sierra McIver.  She is a new educational interpreter in Boise/Meridian who graduated from WOU in 2016.  She is excited to join us.

We will have another board meeting in a month.

Adjourned at 7:45pm.

 

 

 

 

Attendees: Kristy K, Kristy B, Shannon, Carrie, Janette, Fran, Sheila

  1. Fall conference theme suggestions from a list of 12 …Decided:  “Ready, set, grown: be that change!”
  2. Conference committees: sponsorship-Ann, Fundraising at workshop-Val, Presenters-Shannon, Kristy B., Sheila, Hospitality-Kristy K., Janette(has part owner of marriot chain for discounts see her).
  3. Discussion on Agenda: preferences per the survey monkey K.B sent out came back as TRACKS…Thurs and Fri night will be Scott Keller as the Keynote speaker($1000.00).  5:30-6:30: registration.  Fri morning( total of 6 hour ceu) board break-out session, (tracks may consist of; mind map/conflict resolution/ Deaf History (led by Mr. Wilding with time limit).  Fri afternoon Scott will teach about ethics.  Try to get local presenters(75.00)to decrease fee plus support them in their profession.  Saturday(6 hours CEU): tracks with mowery, buckely, J. palmer, Jim Woods(csi local archeologist professor), scott with ethics, Wilding, CDI.
  4. CEU will total 13.5 hours not counting social time
  5. Getting the word out in advance…survey said.  Kristy will email, post on new www. and send out a FB registration adding an agenda also important.  This will aid in head count for food. discount for early bird registration
  6. IAD booth in post falls conference or just submit a sponsor page with our fall flyer.  All agreed on the later.  Flyer will b refined by K.K niece whose degree in design.
  7. Ongoing struggle with old www. complaints. Must type in address using browsers other than google(defaults to old www.–trying to fix is unsuccessful still).  unknown Password(via mike smith or mike coleman) is needed to fix
  8. Val, K.B, and Shannon to attend RID conference
  9. president taking care of the taxes and reports due by July 1  to RID , state, and IRS.
  10. Sheila will find out how to successfully partner with WRID for spring conference

 

Idaho RID Board Meeting Agenda attendance: Kristy B.(Pres), Carrie P.(Sec.), Shannon S.(PDC), Holly S.(Treas.), Jayne W.(MAL)

Wednesday, February 15, 7-8 PM: Began 7:02 pm.

  1. Spring Workshop: one in boise and later(end april or begin of May) at ISU pocatello(ask val or joelynn to present)
    1. Final dates-Evening April 7 and all day April 8th in Boise.Location TBD(possible H&W– Shannon to Contact S.S ASAP)
    2. Presenters-Paula Browning on Ethics came highly recommended to kristy
    3. Provide lunch was declined but snacks to be provided.  Plenty of lunch choices in that location
    4. Business Meeting
      1. Board reports – will send out example from HTM  for all board  members to present a report per Roberts rule of order at each annual business mtg.  Kristy emphasized her aid to us and not to stress.  This will provide a more formal atmosphere
      2. Robert’s Rules of Order-Question about if board members are required to have dual membership, to be looked into.
      3. Deaf Heart award nominations- All to support; plus have NAD send out notifications for nominations of IRID members
        We are also accepting nominations for an Idaho RID Deaf-Heart award.  If you know an outstanding interpreter that demonstrates a Deaf-heart, please email me your nomination.  Within your email include examples of how this interpreter demonstrates a Deaf-heart within their work and why you think they deserve recognition.  Your nomination may be several written paragraphs, or if you prefer, an ASL video attachment.  Please email me your nominations by April 1st, and we will announce the winner at our spring business meeting.
      4. Live streaming options – working on it w/ Paula Mason from gooding, tech gurru.  Use Zoom program to stream apr. 7&8 boise workshop to gooding.
        1. Snacks to be provided.
        2. CEU monitoring- undiscussed
      5. Workshop scholarship -undiscussed
      6. Thank Jayne & Melanie for their service
      7. Elections-kristy was nomicated on the wrong year.  supposed to be even year as pres. elect
        1. Nominations for treasurer-holly S to resign, elections on odd year, Carrie P. to take over meridian mailbox key and responsibilites associated with.
        2. Nominations for VP-on odd calendar year, replace Val S.
        3. Vote of affirmation for president and to clarify to members the error in electing kristy on the Odd and not even calendar year and her term will extend to 2019.  Kristy accepts the extention if memebers will.
        4. Vacant Member at large positions (2)-to be elected on odd years. pls make any suggestions, many positions hard to fill.  get the word out there
        5. Vacant fundraising position-”      “
        6. Vote on dues increase-agreed per last board mtg.
          1. $35 for dual members
          2. $20 for students
    1. National RID conference -July 20-24, 2017 @ SLC (past year went 100,000$ in the hole, forced to set u lottery system)a. Idaho representatives
      1. President & Professional Development Chair – Kristy & Shannon–all agreed
      2. Board willing to pay ½ registration costs ($212.50 X 2 = $425 total) + hotel (share hotel room)- all agreed

      Lottery system

      1. How it works-total of 650 slots: 200 leadership track, 200 skills development track, only 2 slots allowed for our region. i think it goes to general registration upon aprils payments received by submitted reps
      2. Payments of $425/person due by April_?__.  Names to be sumbited  by March 31.

      Idaho RID host viewing parties around the state- Live streaming of National COnference.  Questions of cost remain.  Kristy to find out more details plus poll @ IRID conference of those interested in attending and where should it be hosted. Buy snacks for attendies was suggested

  1. Other announcements/board business? Mtg adjorned at 7:40 p.m.

 

December 7, 2016 board meeting notes by Carrie

In attendance: mike, kristi, carrie, holly, ann, jayne, shannon

newly est. www. admin rights given to: mike, kristi with  shannon, holly, and carrie having editorial rights.

Jan. 19 9-noon have a presence at the Capitol during breakfast supplies by cdhh

jayne will be stepping down as isu as member at large, frown: shared her found resources for upcoming conference(isu, school dist office or any school facilities).

still deciding on dates (april 7-8 or 28-29) and location for spring conference. most likely to be boise. presenter still tbd.

plans are in place to est a EIN live stream for outreach locations to attend via online(facebook live or “live with you tube” may be other options) .  Along with how to make sure all receive an earned CEU for either watching  the prerecording or veiwing at designated sites.  talks of how to implement this were of sending out a mass email with a survey monkey questioner in proof of viewing.  kristi will followup with iesdb for streaming and dawn on ceu verificaton process